Post Date: 08/13/2020
Close Date: 09/20/2020
Become a part of the team behind the team.
As employees of the Portland Trail Blazers at the Rose Quarter, we do more than basketball. We bring people together to create extraordinary moments and lasting memories through the power of sports and entertainment. We are pioneers and innovators. We look for people who push boundaries, who dream, who are committed to inclusivity – who want to contribute to Rip City!
As our Senior Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, you will lead the organization’s diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) strategies and initiatives both internally and externally for the Rose Quarter. You will create, implement and monitor programs and policies that support our core principles of acceptance and understanding that help further a culture of respect, equality and inclusiveness. This role reports into the SVP of Corporate Communications and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Create strategy and assess the organization’s DEI related needs. Serving as an internal and external (for community partners) consultant, facilitator and strategic advisor for implementation of DEI programs and initiatives from concept to launch.
- Advise and guide senior management on DEI matters including staying abreast of legislation, regulation and new methodologies. Recommending necessary changes to current policies.
- Collaborate with department leaders to ensure DEI is considered in the decision-making process throughout the organization - asking what it looks like for their business and help provide action items to achieve results.
- Liaison with NBA league office on DEI initiatives and policies including hiring practices, diversity program and career development.
- Driving and tracking progress of strategic plan across all departments with cross-functional teams. Developing metrics and evaluating and revising plan goals/task as needed. Leading development of second iteration of strategic plan.
- Managing semi-annual reporting on DEI plan with strategic planning committees, updating staff, leadership and external partners on progress.
- Planning executing, and leading Inclusion Council meetings. Recruiting and onboarding new members annually.
- Partner with SVP and P&C to drive diverse talent strategies in recruitment, hiring and retention of underrepresented teammates.
- Develop and coordinate internal trainings, Lunch & Learns, round tables, discussions, etc. on cultural competence, focusing on self-awareness, attitudes and behaviors towards others and increased cultural knowledge.
- Prepare annual business plan outlining DEI goals, objectives and strategies.
- Planning, executing, and co-facilitating in partnership with L&D Specialist on all staff trainings. Supporting the development of new, internal DEI facilitators.
- Driving and managing external partnerships to advance work, connecting staff to external resources and managing consultant contracts, resources, as well as coordinating teams and budget. Develop policies and practices to be an intentional and responsive community member.
- Representing company at DEI-related speaking engagements, related conferences, luncheons and events.
- Keeping Inclusion website and other marketing assets up to date. Managing internal storytelling and communication of Rose Quarter DEI story on social media. Bringing together departments, P&C, Inclusion Council, leadership and others to tell a holistic and unified story.
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in a related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Have seven years of demonstrated experience implementing and executing DEI initiatives.
- Collaborate in a dynamic, high profile environment and build constructive and positive relationships with all staff and departments.
- Strong credibility and ability to inspire trust among employees of color and those with diverse backgrounds, abilities, lifestyles, ages, sexual orientation, identity, and expression.
- Demonstrated team leadership, coaching and group facilitation skills. Challenges employees and leadership effectively and respectfully.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and can vary communication to fit cultural context and circumstance.
- Feels comfortable having and encouraging open and frank conversations about challenges and opportunities in the DEI space meeting employees where they are.
- High level of business insight and integrity. Maintain a high-level of confidentiality and exercise discretion when working with sensitive or confidential information.
- Fundamental understanding of employment law issues and general human resources and management concepts, particularly with regard to hiring, promotions, and wage equity – understands when to involve People & Culture or other internal resources.
- Knowledgeable about legal requirements associated with processing complaints relating to discrimination or harassment.
- Highly motivated, creative, self-starter with the ability to perform under pressure while prioritizing and managing multiple projects with an attention to detail.
- Driven, flexible and can learn quickly in a fast-paced work environment. Shows initiative in times of challenge and ambiguity.
- Proficient working in different computer programs such as MS Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
The Portland Trail Blazers at the Rose Quarter embraces diversity and inclusion. We celebrate individual expression and uniqueness on our campus. We do not tolerate harassment or discrimination. We are committed to hiring individuals that reflect the community we serve without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other legally protected characteristics. We are an equal opportunity employer.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We invest in our employees inside and outside of work. Our benefits package for full-time teammates includes:
- Competitive Healthcare Coverage
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Maternal & Parental Leave
- Flexible Time Off (3 weeks + 11 holidays)
- Wellness Perks
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Free Parking + Discounted Mass Transit Passes
- Discounted & Complimentary Tickets
- Ongoing Learning & Development
Complete details: Click Here for complete details on this position