Post Date: 06/11/2020
Close Date: 08/31/2020
Farm Services Microbiologist
Come join the Tillamook Team where our philosophy is “Dairy Done Right.” As an independent farmer-owned cooperative, we have been guided by good, honest values since 1909. We believe in putting quality over profit, natural over artificial, and that hard work can never be outsmarted. We’re taking a stand for real food, because everyone deserves better.
What does real food mean to you? Is your favorite dish a cheesy casserole? Perhaps a decadent and indulgent ice cream? Either way, your identification with food is important to us. People who fit well here at Tillamook have a commitment to quality in everything they do. Our team members understand our vision, contribute to our mission, thrive on innovative thinking, hard work and good, honest values.
Our team members understand our vision, contribute to our mission, thrive on innovative thinking, hard work and good, honest values. We live by these shared values: We are Good Stewards, We believe in Uncompromising Quality, We work as One Team, We Play to Win, and We Genuinely Care for each other.
What you will do:
The Farm Services Microbiologist is responsible for fostering a culture of quality excellence. This person will be the primary point of contact for farmer/producers and is dedicated to development and performance of laboratory services for producers/farmers. In addition to ensuring testing services are available, this role will be responsible for gathering data to perform statistical analysis and trending to identify areas of opportunity in milk testing and provide timely reporting to producer/farmers.
Here’s a day in the life:
- Define and develop processes to sustain required turnaround time for sample testing as necessary for field department
- Identify and isolate bacteria from individual cow and bulk tank samples using agar plates and other methods; conduct analysis and sampling as needed
- Assist in oversight/review of all microbiological results prior to entry into madcap (portal reporting software), including but not limited to PCR, culture, and daily bulk milk testing
- Assist in oversight/review of Foss Instrument’s Combi chemistry, somatic cell (SCC), and Bactoscan’s individual bacteria counts (IBC) results prior to entry into madcap (portal reporting software)
- Work with outside labs as necessary for positive identification of certain bacteria types
- Organizes documentation to respond to producer inquiries and concerns
- Provide producers with reliable and timely results on bulk tank and cow samples, reported in context with regular quality tests; provide support to alleviate concerns/questions as needed
- Provides technical support and/or data analysis for resolution of issues
- Participates in cross-functional teams to assist plants in effective implementation of food safety and quality initiatives and processes in milk testing
- Maintain meticulous records to document all aspects of data and studies
- Prepare presentations and reports to communicate results
- Understand regulatory requirements and works to ensure compliance
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Dairy Science or related field
- Three to five years of bacterial identification and molecular experience specifically in a dairy environment
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize information and create reports
- Knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with producer/farmers
- Ability to communicate effectively across the organization at all levels and with our external partners
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work weekends and holidays as needed
- On-farm milk production experience a plus
Industry leading benefit and reward programs:
We offer outstanding benefits to our employees. For more information, please visit the careers page: www.tillamook.com/careers.
We are committed to creating a diverse culture and inclusive conditions where all employees are heard, valued and feel a sense of belonging. We rely on different perspectives, thoughts, backgrounds and cultures to inform our work, to help us be better as a brand and as an employer and to fuel our success. We are seeking talent from a wide range of diversity, perspectives and backgrounds to join our exceptional organization and help us build our future.
Tillamook County Creamery Association (TCCA) is a Drug-Free Workplace. EEO/AA