Post Date: 09/24/2020
Close Date: 11/24/2020
About the Position: Contracting and procurement is an integral part of how MCDD performs its work and meets its mission of flood risk-reduction. As a Contract Administration Intern you will actively support daily operations of the Finance Department. This experience will help you learn facets of the contract management functional role and responsibility in the organization. Gain direct work experience and exposure by working directly with Procurement and Contract professionals, Project Managers, and other functional teams.
The Contract Administration Intern will be responsible for having working knowledge of contracts, reading contracts, managing the certificates of insurance and working with Project Managers across the agency. A long-term project for this position will be to create an automated process that tracks and notifies Project Managers in advance of contract expiration and/or budget cap. If you’re looking to apply your business experience to enhance the contracting practices of a growing public agency, then this is the perfect position for you!
MCDD has evolved substantially over the past decade to become a solutions-oriented leader with our partners in the region. We offer a highly challenging and intellectually engaging environment, and the opportunity to be a part of a driven and passionate team who are dedicated to providing flood risk reduction services to thousands of people, businesses, and vital ecosystems along the Lower Columbia River. Additionally, there are numerous capital improvement projects on the horizon that will help modernize our levee and drainage system, and this individual will be instrumental to their success.
The Contract Administration Intern will work under the direct supervision of the Finance Manager. This is a part-time (20 hrs. per week), Limited Duration not to exceed nine (9) months position. Being a public agency, all approved overtime will be compensated at the rate of 1.5 hours for each overtime hour worked in the form of accrued Compensatory time (See MCDD Employee Handbook) to use against future time off. In addition, this position can accommodate a full-time school schedule for students currently enrolled in an undergrad or advanced degree program in a related field.
About MCDD: MCDD helps protect lives and property from flooding by operating and maintaining stormwater and flood management systems for nearly 13,000 acres of land along the Columbia Slough and the lower Columbia River. Through intergovernmental agreements, MCDD manages three other drainage districts in Multnomah County (Peninsula Drainage District #1, Peninsula Drainage District #2, and Sandy Drainage Improvement Company). Together, the four districts maintain a 27-mile levee system and a series of pumps, pipes, canals, and conveyances to manage stormwater within sections of the Columbia Slough watershed area. Our mission is “to enhance community safety and support the region’s vitality by maintaining our levee system, managing drainage, and responding to emergencies.
In late June 2019, the Oregon State Legislature approved Senate Bill 431, creating an Urban Flood Safety & Water Quality District within the urban growth boundary of Multnomah County. This special district will ultimately replace the four existing drainage districts. If you’d like to learn more, please follow the link here.
Although our mission is what brings all of us together, there is much more than meets the eye when you work for MCDD. With a comprehensive benefits package and access to an agency culture like no other, we are a group that looks forward to coming into work every day.
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage or Medical Stipend
- State of Oregon Public Employee Retirement System (PERS) Participant
- Oregon Savings Growth Plan (OSGP)
- Transportation and Wellness Incentives
- Healthy work-life balance
- Casual dress code
- Office Perks:
- We believe in snacking! Our breakroom is always properly stocked.
- Frequent visits from our 4-legged team members.
- Beautiful views of the Columbia Slough Watershed
- Access to open outdoor spaces
- Showers and access to bike parking
- Open access to leadership
- Collaborative environment
- Supportive of families with children
- MCDD is located in the Sunderland neighborhood of Portland, Oregon, a city known for its diversity of restaurants, breweries, and easy access to both the coast and mountains. The area offers a variety of neighborhoods, bike-friendly streets, and amenities of a large city.
- Support Finance Department in the contract administration process.
- Ensure compliance of contract file documentation.
- Assist with record retention i.e. filing.
- Generate reports.
- Responsible for the management of certificates of insurance.
- Support new contract activities and perform special projects as required.
- Assist in contract closeout by routing the spreadsheet/checklist for the closeouts, locating documentation as needed.
- Assist in maintaining the Contract Value/Available Funds.
- Be a team player and develop strong working relationships with colleagues across departments.
It is the duty of all employees to:
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Strive to achieve the Mission, Vision, and Values of the organization.
- Perform the duties assigned during an emergency.
- Ensure and encourage a safe workplace environment.
Knowledge and Understanding of:
- Microsoft Office Suite: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Adobe PDF
Skills and Abilities:
- Process information to make sound business recommendations for management decisions
- Think creatively to problem solve
- Work collaboratively with other staff and stakeholders
- Effectively organize and prioritize
- Communicate effectively: orally, written, and electronically
Education, Training, and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited Masters’ Program
- 0-2 years or more of related experience
- Work experience in a business office environment, specifically government contracting a plus.
- Preference for candidates considering a career in contracting and procurement.
Working Environment: General office environment, sitting, occasional lifting. This position is not considered safety sensitive. Due to COVID-19 this position may work remotely but will be expected to work periodically in the office, part time. Hours may vary but should fall between 7:00am and 5:00pm (school schedules will be prioritized).
Accommodation: Reasonable accommodation is available to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing this application or participating in this process.
Veterans’ Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualified veterans may be eligible for Veterans’ Preference when applying for MCDD positions. If you are a veteran and would like to request Veterans’ Preference for this job, please provide qualifying documents (Copy of the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD Form 214 or 215; Disabled Veterans must also submit a copy of their Veteran’s Disability Preference Letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) with your application submittal. Documentation must be received by the closing date and time of this recruitment for the applicant to receive Veterans’ Preference.
Equal employment opportunity: All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, familial status, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability for which a reasonable accommodation can be made or any other status protected by law.
This position is not represented.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit the following, in PDF form, via our Smartsheet link found here: http://mcdd.org/employment. Incomplete applications will not be considered. A complete packet will include:
- Cover letter (Your cover letter should address your ability to meet the minimum requirements and please include any preferred qualifications)
- Reference sheet (minimum of 2 professional references)