Post Date: 10/02/2020
Close Date: 10/19/2020
Portland Japanese Garden seeks a Development Coordinator who is positive, detail-oriented, and highly motivated.
The Coordinator will support the Development team with various administrative tasks related to the day-to-day functions of the Development department. This includes in-kind and monetary donation processing, researching and reporting for fundraising opportunities, coordinating details for donor cultivation, budget tracking, and assisting with donor events. The range of duties requires ability both to manage a proactive and time-sensitive work schedule on an independent basis and to work productively as part of a team.
As part of a growing organization, this is a great position for someone who is looking for a career that is mission and results-driven, donor-centric, and customer service-oriented.
This position reports to the Corporate Relations & Foundations Officer.
• Daily gift entry and donor acknowledgements
• Routine reporting, driven by the database (weekly giving reports, fundraising status reports, donor recognition lists, etc.)
• Maintain donor information in organization’s CRM (currently Raiser’s Edge, with a system upgrade by January 2021) with ongoing database hygiene
• In collaboration with Annual Fund Manager, implement annual database audit
• Coordinate Individual Giving Cultivation programs, with particular emphasis on communications
• Assist with maintaining Corporate partnerships (e.g., tracking in-kind donations/use, coordinate special requests like tours, benefit and recognition fulfillment, customizing renewals and acknowledgements, coordinating corporate presence, or other opportunities for visibility in Garden events)
• Maintain inventory of donor cultivation gifts
• Maintain calendar of touchpoints for corporate partners throughout the year
• Provide administrative assistance for Board of Trustees Advancement Committee
Research & Reporting
• Work with Director of Development to create prospect profiles and research giving opportunities
• Work with Corporate & Foundations Relations Officer to research foundation and grant opportunities
• Monitor best practices and trends in philanthropy, summarizing and sharing learnings with full department
• On an as-needed basis, provide back-up event support to Annual Fund Manager (e.g., day-of check-in, guest list management, electronic invitation distribution and follow-up, etc.)
• Monitor department budget and invoicing
• Maintain centralized list of all donor benefits and recognition
• Assist Development Director with outreach coordination
• Support Corporate & Foundation Relations Officer with grant applications and reporting, as needed
• Assist with mailings
• Manage department holds for cultural events, coordinating with Events and Development staff to ensure use or release
• Communicate with donors, clients, staff, and other community partners in a friendly and professional manner
• Learn about Japanese culture and art as opportunities arise in the organization
• Maintain a high degree of discretion and confidentiality in dealing with sensitive information
• Familiarize oneself with the organization and the Employee Handbook
• Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork, and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
• Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance (business casual dress)
• Other duties and projects as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
• At least one year of experience in development, or equivalent combination of different experiences
• Demonstrated proficiency with digital media, and comfort with metrics and analytics
• Strong proficiency with Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Strong communication abilities – clear writing and articulate speaking ability
• A proven track record of working well with others, adapting to others’ work styles, and professional interactions with co-workers and/or vendors
• Strong listening skills, giving full attention to what other people are saying or asking, taking time to understand the points being made, and asking questions when appropriate
• Incredibly organized and highly proficient at keeping a systematic schedule and calendar
The ideal candidate will have a combination of these skills. Candidates who possess some - but not all - of these requirements are still encouraged to apply.
• Experience with CRM or database software (e.g., Tessitura, Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce, etc.)
• Experience with Mailchimp or other email marketing system
• Comfortable working in an open-office environment
• Experience with digital programming is desirable, but not required
• Excellent customer service skills
• Experience working with clients and vendors
• Project management and/or team process development
• Personal passion for Japanese culture and history, art and design, travel, and/or landscape design and horticulture
• Being bilingual in any language is a plus; in Japanese, it’s an A+
Compensation & Schedule
• Wage: $17.00 per hour
• This is full-time, hourly, non-exempt position with 40 hours per week. Shifts are typically 8 hours (plus ½ hour lunch), 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, with some flexibility. Occasional evening and/or weekend work is required.
o health, dental, and vision insurance (premium 100% covered for employees)
o 401k plan (after 90 days, with 4% employer match after 1 year of service)
o flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care expenses
o paid vacation, sick, and holiday time
To apply, please email a resume, cover letter, and 3-5 references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Development Coordinator” in the subject line.
Please also provide a short description (200-300 words) – separate from your cover letter – of a recent project or problem that you made better, faster, smarter, more efficient, or less expensive.
Please, no phone calls or hand-delivered applications. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Submit application materials by Monday, October 19th, 2020. All submitted applications will be held in confidence.
Complete details: Click Here for complete details on this position