Post Date: 03/01/2021
Close Date: 05/31/2021
Women’s Center for Leadership’s Board Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Community Alliances will lead and implement systemic change across the organization. This director will work closely with staff and the board to create and advance initiatives that achieve equity and remove barriers at WCL in the community. They will lead a DEI&J audit process, make change recommendations to the board, and partner with the board + staff make change. This director will work to increase the inclusive feel of WCL’s programs and membership, along with increasing the diversity of guest speakers and all who participate.
WCL's goal is to make an even bigger impact by partnering with organizations that are invested in resolving the impacts of inequity in the workforce and advancing social justice for all. A priority of the DEI & Community Alliance Director will be developing community relationships and alliances. They will guide WCL in building a stronger cultural proficiency through partnerships in our community.
Please note that this is a volunteer and unpaid role, as are all WCL board seats. For more about WCL visit: http://womenscenterforleadership.org/
Responsibilities & Duties
- Attend 80% of board meetings. Prepare regular updates for input, approval, and action.
- Aside of monthly Board meetings, commit to volunteering 15 hours per month.
- WCL Committees – Ensure alignment and actions with other committees through one-on-one conversations with committee leads, board meeting discussions or attending other committee-focused meetings. Request and leverage expertise from other committees (E.g., Ops/tech, membership, communication, etc.) to execute strategy.
- Fundraising – Participate in annual give or get fundraising while supporting other Development initiatives.
- Strategy & Ad Hoc Needs – Attend and participate in annual strategy session and update meetings. Ability to assist board and WCL in periodic ad-hoc projects.
- Anchor the committee. Actively identify and drive its initiatives with the team.
- Recruit additional members to the group as needed. Onboard them, support them, help them grow as leaders.
- Communicate to the board at large. Keep them updated on key initiatives. Provide regular updates on committee’s strategy and execution.
- Passion for promoting women's leadership
- 3+ years leading and championing Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Justice initiatives including experience centering historically underrepresented groups and communities
- 1 - 3 years of volunteer or employee supervisory experience desired
- Experience creating and executing a strategy. Ability to lead a team to drive the strategy.
- An action-oriented and proactive voice at the table who executes on initiatives
- Professional experience in project management, community building and/or organizational development
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills for serving WCL members and collaborating with board and staff
- Enthusiastic, energetic, personable and friendly as well as passionate, intelligent and knowledgeable regarding women’s leadership
- Strong computer skills – Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Maintains an atmosphere which makes all board peers, members, and guests feel welcome
- Positive attitude, detail and customer-oriented, accountable
- Working knowledge of non-profit processes preferred; specific to Women’s Center for Leadership a plus
- Previous board experience helpful and not required
Kim Shope, firstname.lastname@example.org,